Check out the features of new ShareMouse version 6!
KVM Software vs Hardware KVM
A KVM switch allows you to share one mouse & keyboard with multiple computers.
Please learn more the benefits of using a Software KVM compared to KVM hardware switch boxes.
There are many good reasons why you would want to use ShareMouse:
- No more juggling mouse and keyboard - ShareMouse lets you control multiple computers with just one mouse and keyboard.
- Convenience - Control all computers from a central location without leaving your seat.
- Speed - You have instant access to any computer, no matter which mouse and keyboard you are using.
- Intuitive operation - No keystroke is required to switch between them. The movement of the mouse is enough for switching.
- No cable clutter - ShareMouse saves your desk from the complex cabling that KVM hardware requires.
- Wireless transmission - Inputs with the mouse and keyboard are transmitted via your existing network connection.
- Value for money - As the number of computers increases, the cost of hardware switches increases dramatically. Not so with ShareMouse.
- Efficiency - ShareMouse cleverly elicits new functionality from your existing hardware.
- Scalable - Hardware KVM switches are often designed for a smaller number of computers. With ShareMouse you can control up to nine computers.
- Compatible - Hardware mouse/keyboard switches can have compatibility problems with certain keyboard/mouse manufacturers. This cannot happen with ShareMouse because the input devices are connected directly to the PC, which ensures compatibility.
- Reliability - Cable connections can break and any additional cable can cause failure. ShareMouse uses your existing network cabling or wireless LAN instead.
|Hardware KVM||Software KVM|
|Setup||Lots of wiring.|
1 minute software installation only.
The Software KVM "ShareMouse" can even run from a USB thumb drive.
You must press a button to switch between computers.
This procedure interrupts your workflow as you need to move the hand from the mouse to the keyboard and back to the mouse.
No button press requried.
Just move the mouse to the computer you wish to control.
|Performance||Switching between computers may cause a delay as the OS requires to detect the input devices after switching. Windows can take up to 30 seconds to initialize USB mice and keyboards.|
All input devices keep being physically connected to the computer and don't require reinitialisation.
|Appearance||Cable clutter as mouse and keyboard cables need to be wired from the input devices to the switch and all computers.|
No cables required.
Software KVMs uses your existing wireless or ethernet network.
Hardware KVMs have a maximum number of supported computers by design.
Adding an additional computer to your setup requires to replace your existing Hardware KVM at exponential cost.
Support for up to nine computers.
A Software KVM like "ShareMouse" scales with your requirements and supports up to nine computers.
|Power Efficiency||Hardware KVM may require a separate power supply.|
No AC adaptor required.
No more wall-wart madness!
Hardware KVMs also enable you to share a monitor with multiple computers.
However, the maximum supported screen resolution is limited for technical reasons.
Entry level Hardware KVM switches do no support for today's high-resolution displays.
Software KVMs don't include monitor sharing.
ShareMouse has full multi monitor supports.
Monitors can have any screen resolution.
Some Hardware KVM models can also switch audio ports.
ShareMouse does not handle audio.
Only very expensive KVM switches support multiple monitors.
If more than two monitors shall be supported, it can get quite expensive.
ShareMouse supports many monitors.
Software KVMs are a powerful alternative to 'classic'' hardware switchboxes and offer unique features.